Our History

Since our humble beginning as a small blacksmith shop in 1882, Brunner & Lay has grown to include manufacturing plants and warehouses on three different continents. These include seven facilities in the United States, two in Canada, three in Great Britain, one in Germany, and two in Australia. We have played a role in the construction of some of the world’s most famous highways, dams, airfields, mines, quarries, and even national monuments.

1882

Brunner & Lay founded

April 14, 1882

Brunner & Lay founded

Edward Brunner & Severin Lay open small blacksmith shop forging tools used in making sculptures, monuments, and building stones.

1900

Expansion into pneumatic tools

April 21, 1900

Expansion into pneumatic tools

Brunner & Lay expands into accessories for pneumatic tools used in construction and stone industries. Polk Street Plant.

1913

Severin Lay retires

April 25, 1913

Severin Lay retires

Severin Lay retires and sells interest to Edward Brunner.

1930

Depression

April 25, 1930

Depression

B&L survives and continues to provide employment by making tools for the WPA.

1934

Fred G. Brunner takes over company lead

April 25, 1934

Fred G. Brunner takes over company lead

Fred G. Brunner assumes responsibilities of the company upon the death of his father, Edward.

1936

B&L moves to new Chicago location

April 25, 1936

B&L moves to new Chicago location

B&L moves to larger quarters in Chicago (727 South Jefferson) and begins manufacturing of drilling accessories.

1941

B&L supports World War II efforts

April 25, 1941

B&L supports World War II efforts

1941-1945 – B&L supported the war effort during World War II, manufacturing tools for the Army Corp of Engineers and Navy.

1945

Fred J. Brunner assumes head role

April 25, 1945

Fred J. Brunner assumes head role

Fred J. Brunner succeeds his father in running operations.

1949

Constructs a larger facility

April 26, 1949

Constructs a larger facility

Builds larger facility in Franklin Park, Illinois

1951

Enters tungsten carbide percussion drill bit market.

April 26, 1951

Enters tungsten carbide percussion drill bit market.

Brunner & Lay enters the tungsten carbide percussion drill bit market.

1957

Brunner Canada begins

April 27, 1957

Brunner Canada begins

Brunner Canada begins manufacturing products in Mississauga for sale and distribution throughout Canada.

1969

Production begins in Ft. Lauderdale

April 27, 1969

Production begins in Ft. Lauderdale

Production begins at new tungsten carbide bit facility in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

1972

Pit carburizing furnaces begin operations

April 27, 1972

Pit carburizing furnaces begin operations

Pit carburizing furnaces designed solely for the purpose of carburizing drill steel for construction and mining industries begins operation in Franklin Park.

1977

Springdale, Ark. factory begins production

April 27, 1977

Springdale, Ark. factory begins production

Factory in Springdale, Ark. begins manufacturing products for sale and distribution throughout the Southwestern and Rocky Mountain States.

1982

Brunner & Lay celebrates 100 years

April 27, 1982

Brunner & Lay celebrates 100 years

Brunner & Lay celebrates its 100-year anniversary.

1987

Purchase of Timken Rock Bit plant

April 27, 1987

Purchase of Timken Rock Bit plant

Purchased Timken Rock Bit plant in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

1988

F. Michael Brunner becomes company president

April 14, 1988

F. Michael Brunner becomes company president

F. Mike Brunner became president in 1988. He is the fourth generation of the Brunner family to oversee the company’s operations.

1992

Acquired Padley & Venables

April 27, 1992

Acquired Padley & Venables

Acquired a sister company, Padley & Venables, which is located in Sheffield, UK.1992

2004

Warehouse in Kalgoorie (AUS) opens

April 14, 2004

Warehouse in Kalgoorie (AUS) opens

Brunner & Lay’s worldwide operations encompass manufacturing plants and warehouses on three different continents. These include seven facilities in the United States, three in Canada, three in Great Britain, one in Germany, and two in Australia,including the warehouse in Kalgoorlie that opened in 2004.

2007

125-year history celebration

January 1, 2007

125-year history celebration
2011

Franklin Park operation consolidates with Springdale

April 10, 2011

Franklin Park operation consolidates with Springdale

Franklin Park manufacturing is consolidated with the Springdale facility creating a single source for all Mining and Construction Tools.

2012

New Springdale facility completed

April 27, 2012

New Springdale facility completed

State-of-the-art corporate office and manufacturing facility is completed in Springdale.

2012

William M. Brunner joins the company

April 27, 2012

William M. Brunner joins the company

William M. Brunner joins the company.

2015

Flat Rock facility

April 27, 2015

Flat Rock facility

Constructed new warehouse and distribution facility in Flat Rock, NC.

2017

135-year history celebration

April 27, 2017

135-year history celebration

Celebrates 135-year anniversary and continues to pursue the American dream and build our tools in the USA. It is with great pride that the Brunner & Lay organization can point to the many wonderful highways, dams, airfields, mines and quarries, and national monuments that it has shaped. These include, but are not limited to, Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam, the Chunnel connecting England and France, the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado,